Fifty Shades of Fat
White fat, brown fat, beige fat. Puppy fat, belly fat, subcutaneous fat, visceral fat. Saturated, unsaturated, monounsaturated, polyunsaturated. Omega-3, omega-6, trans and hydrogenated. Virgin, extra virgin, cold pressed, hot pressed. LDL, HDL, IDL, VLDL. What the fat is going on?
When nutrition experts talk about ‘bad fats’ they are referring to saturated fat. When health conscious consumers talk about ‘bad fats’ they are referring to omega-6-rich seed oils. Who’s right? Who’s confused? Who’s back to using butter? By the end of this session you’ll know the fat from the fiction.
Learning outcomes & key take-aways
- What is fuelling the fat debate?
- What’s the difference between fat in the body and fat on our plate?
- Does eating fat make you fat?
- Clearing up cholesterol controversies
- When is a vegetable oil not a vegetable oil?
- What type of fat is best for cooking?
- Are there certain fats we should avoid at all costs?